 Off-Topic / Debate / 13694
Re: Israel and Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:27:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Just for my own edification, if a Jewish family could produce a legitimate
deed from, say, eight or ten centuries ago documenting their ownership of a
piece of property in modern Palestinian land, would you accept that deed as
proof of their right to be there?

Absolutely, and there are Arab Jews with such deeds that Israel also will
not recognize. It's not a question of religion, it's basically racism. Arab
Jews are second class Jews in Israel because the Zionists regard
Palestinians as transients.

Obviously such a document is not likely to be forthcoming, so I pose the >question as a hypothetical.

I'd say from the majority of European Jews that's highly unlikely. But not
from Arab Jews.

Would it be possible for ownership to be *purchased* from legitimate
previous owners rather than having had to have been in the family all that
time? Or are you saying that purchasing land can't be done, only inheritance
is acceptable as a transfer mechanism? This is still hypothetical... but if
the pre 1948 Jewish (and other) immigrants just came in and shoved people
off their land instead of buying their way in, that HAS to be fixed.

In a previous post in this thread, Dan, you say that there are Palestinians
who hold clear provable title that Israel is not recognising. If that's
true, it is totally unacceptable and needs to be fixed too.

Now that we are on the ground of property rights, Dan, you've found
something with which to garner my support, as this is close to home for me...

I support the right of people everywhere to self determination, to own
property and material goods honestly acquired and to be free from violence
and oppression, and those all are things that the Palestinians (and others
in the region) have been denied.

I just don't see the PA as a vehicle likely to get them these things.

Further I suppor the notion of trying (within limits, as Frank said) to find
and correct past injustices to the extent practical. That may well mean
unwinding a *lot* of land transactions in the US for example... I'd rather
do that and get closure, than continue to grant a blank check of guilt about
it to the chattering classes...