 Off-Topic / Debate / 13684
Re: Israel and Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:40:35 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:
4. Do I think non-Semetic European Jews have a legitimate birthright claim to
   Palestinian land? No.

Are you prepared to support complete and full reparation of all property
taken from these European Jews?

Personally, I'd actually like to see that. I also wonder if their
concerns had been taken seriously earlier whether we would be in the
current situation with Israel.

You complain about the raw deal given Palestinians. Look at the raw deal
Jews were given and ask these same questions replacing "Palestinians"
with Jews etc.

Unfortunately, I think too much time has passed to revert (1). I think
any solution has to start from where we currently are. That solution
MUST include the current citizens of Israel and it MUST include the
Palestinians, but it also MUST take into account the willingness of each
person to work towards a solution.

Right now, I see a lot more willingness on Israel's part to work towards
a solution (though perhaps not enough), of course I think the spread of
all individuals willingness overlaps so some Palestinians are more
willing than some Israelis.

(1) Note that there MUST be a time limit on reparations or else we need
to disolve EVERY single country on this planet, and toss just about
EVERYONE out of their homes. How you then figure out who should get to
live where at that point, I'm not sure since I doubt even archaeoligists
could completely determine what movements of peoples are due to
(relatively (2)) peaceful expansion and which were a result of conquest
(winners moving in, losers moving out).

(2) If you don't set limits, we need to think about the species which
were displaced to make room for humans.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com