 Off-Topic / Debate / 13665
Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:45:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Scott A wrote:

At least the immediate plans include a
massive perfusion of aid to refugees, so that's a start.

I thought this was good too. But then I read this last night:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4272513,00.html

==+==
Will Day, chief executive of Care International, said yesterday: "Air drops
make great TV but they often represent a failure to respond to a food crisis."

Barbara Stocking, Oxfam's director, said all aid should be channelled
through the UN "to be seen as impartial and separate from military action.
Trucking of food is cheaper and is tried and tested. Air drops are risky,
random, expensive, and likely to meet only a fraction of the need. Aid
workers would be put in a difficult position if food aid came to be viewed
as part of a military effort".
==+==

It looks dropping like this may just be a token effort to appease people
like you and I back home. :\

Ask a few Berliners about the effectiveness of aerial delivery of relief
supplies...

Are you saying we should listen to Berliners rather than the aid agencies?

If you read anything at all about the air drops, you would find two
things:

1. They are not expected to be the sole delivery mechanism

2. They are targetted for remote mountainous areas which trucking might
be impractical, or blocked by military forces

The aid is dropped from "high altitude", we'll be lucky if we hit the
correct mountain. Before 11th, 5000 tonnes of aid was getting to the Afghans
per day. 5000 tonnes has reached them over the past 10 days.

Scott A