 Off-Topic / Debate / 13519
Re: This is disgusting!...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 11:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Melody Brown writes:

Thanks Larry for sharing your opinion and as a male admitting that something
like that is terrible.

Please don't assume that those of us who didn't comment in any way disagree.  I
didn't write because there was nothing to say.  Yup, it's disgusting.

Actually, I don't bear Afghanistan much in the way of grudge because of their
role in the attack in the US (of course, their role (or our understanding of
it) does appear to be growing -- so that could change).  I think a much better
reason to invade them is for their eggregious human rights violations.

Are we the world's policeman?  No.  But there are things wrong all over the
world that aren't going to get better without help and/or force.  We, as the
richest nation in the world can afford to help.  So should we?

This is all very worthy. 2 Questions.

1. What is the wealth of "richest nation in the world" based on? Hard work?
Some human rights abuses? Exploitation? A mixture?

2. If taking action on the Afghans for their "egregious human rights
violations" were legal (I'm not sure it is). What next? The next easy target
or the next worst abusers of human rights? Do we even accept that
Afghanistan is the worst abuser of human rights? Would we ever tackle Iran,
Saudi-Arabia or even Israel? Is it not weak just to go for the easy targets?

Scott A

I go back and
forth.

Chris