 Off-Topic / Debate / 13518
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 11:47:19 GMT

That text argues that
while those in the west (specifically the USA in the text) do enjoy many
freedoms, those freedoms are based on rather darker activities elsewhere.

What do you mean 'based on.'  I would agree with the assertion that the
freedoms we commonly claim to be self-evident and inalienable are freedoms that
we are unwilling to let some others in the world live with.  And that's wrong.
But I don't believe for even a smidge of a second that our freedoms are based
on denying those to others.  We could (and must) have both.  Everyone deserves
the freedoms that we consider self-evident.

So
while I agree that the attacks where an indirect attack on freedom as
enjoyed within the USA (and by extension elsewhere in the world), they were
not (as Larry states) an attack on Freedom and Liberty... they were the
exact opposite.

I don't think either of those characterizations are correct.  I think the
attacks were attacks against actions of the US that were perceived as meddlesom
and inappropriate.  I doubt that they much care about what we do over here if
we'd just stay the hell out of their affairs.  Now I'm not convinced that we
should do that, but the attacks weren't against freedom in any way.

They were a reprehensibly selfish and perverse attack for  a
little more freedom and liberty in places like "Palestine", Iraq and
Saudi-Arabia.

They were impotent discipline.  A two year old gets mad when it's time to leave
the park because the larger human has decided that enough of their time has
been sucked up that way and the little human doesn't understand how the large
one feels.  So the little one does little annoying things (crying, hitting,
pouting, claiming hatred, etc).  That's what was done to us.  They did the best
they could and they might do something again.  But in the end it's not going to
change us.  Only when and if we decide they have a valid point will we change.
And just like the petulant two year old, big people sometimes swat them for
their behavior.

Chris