 Off-Topic / Debate / 13512
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:11:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Larry,

in the last weeks you have shown me that you
don't understand (amongst other this):
Freedom
Liberty
Freedom of Speech

Let's be clear here. I am just NOT going to get into an open ended debate
with you on whether I understand freedom or not. That is so laughable an
allegation that it's not worth responding to.

It seems to me that this discussion is getting too confrontational. Also,
for me the question should be WHAT EXACTLY you understand to be freedom
rather than WHETHER OR NOT you understand what freedom is. In the light of
some recent discussion, I built some assumptions for your as well as Scott's
understanding. And, yes, they seem to diverge ...

I think they do to, and that is my point. As I have said before, I think
Larry has a rather selfish view of what freedom means and that is why he is
unwilling to justify his comments in the context of the text I have referred
him to (although he is still welcome to at least try). That text argues that
while those in the west (specifically the USA in the text) do enjoy many
freedoms, those freedoms are based on rather darker activities elsewhere. So
while I agree that the attacks where an indirect attack on freedom as
enjoyed within the USA (and by extension elsewhere in the world), they were
not (as Larry states) an attack on Freedom and Liberty... they were the
exact opposite. They were a reprehensibly selfish and perverse attack for  a
little more freedom and liberty in places like "Palestine", Iraq and
Saudi-Arabia. If Larry really did understand freedom he would understand
that, rather living in some sort of state of deluded denial (see his
baseless views on starvation in Iraq or the attack on Sudan). How can these
people be stopped without understanding their motivation? Waving flags at
them will do little. As I said soon after the attack, we need to educate
ourselves and those who show support for our enemy.

Scott A

Further you don't get to dictate where the conversation goes despite your
repeated posting of the same questions and quotes, no matter how hard you try.

As far as I am concerned, answering questions does not necessarily mean to
follow a certain path in conversation.

Greetings

Horst