 Off-Topic / Debate / 13555
Re: This is disgusting!...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:37:25 GMT

This is all very worthy. 2 Questions.

1. What is the wealth of "richest nation in the world" based on? Hard work?
Some human rights abuses? Exploitation? A mixture?

Yes.  So what?

Perhaps we owe them a little?

2. If taking action on the Afghans for their "egregious human rights
violations" were legal (I'm not sure it is).

I'm not as great an advocate for this legality thing as you are, so it is of
relatively less import to me.

If you don't like a law you should work to change it, not ignore it.

What next? The next easy target
or the next worst abusers of human rights?

Ultimately, I (think I) think that it ought to be up to those funding the
change.  So if it's a US thing, then whatever the US decides to do.  If it's a
NATO coalition, then we all decide together.  Etc.  I would advocate doing an
analysis to look for the nations that have serious deficiencies for which we
might be able to implement a remedy.  Very bad situations that we can't help
with should be avoided.  Situations where we can help, but they aren't far
behind our standard, should be put off in favor of those who need greater
remediation.

How can we justify just looking at the easy problems?

Do we even accept that Afghanistan is the worst abuser of human rights?

I haven't claimed that, and I don't know.  I haven't done the analysis that
backing such a claim would require.  But surely they can't be far from the
bottom.

I agree.

And if they are, then we should be even more greatly ashamed for not
doing more to help out.

Should we not be ashamed that we have not helped before now? A few months
ago they (the Taleban) were given money to help stem the drugs trade. Why
was that ok back then, but now it is ok to bomb them?

Would we ever tackle Iran, Saudi-Arabia or even Israel?

Uh, maybe.

Is it not weak just to go for the easy targets?

No.  It's going for quick wins.  There is nothing at all wrong with that.  In
fact, as we are getting started with such a program, investing time and energy
in the easier situations might be a good idea in order to get our bearings and
build some precidential understanding of how such actions work.  It might
minimize our mistakes in more complex situations.

If we do go for the weak ones, let's hope it puts pressure on the big bad guys.

By the way, Scott, what is our fascination with weakness?  Your seeming
devotion to national machismo runs counter to what I would expect from
someone with your normally advocated stances.  Yet I've seen a number (at least

I don't see myself as having a "devotion to national machismo".

two in the past couple weeks) of these "isn't that the weak way out" kind of
things from you.  What gives?  Weakness is in the eye of the beholder and why
would I care whether someone thought that?

A famous Scot once said:
"You cannot run away from a weakness; you must sometimes fight it out or
perish. And if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?"

Scott A

Chris