 Off-Topic / Debate / 13505
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:25:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Larry,

I have had a National ID card for ten years, and I only had to show it for
proof of identity on reasonable subjects: Tests (School, College
admission),
Licenses (Driver's and others), and as a login number (!) to know if I had
been admitted to College.

See, that you think these reasonable is itself symptomatic.

So, you think it would be OK to ...

... send someone else to a college test instead of showing up personally?

No, this is a kind of fraud. But the fact that something is illegal is not a
justification for every possible sort of remedy that any law enforcement
officer can dream up. So while showing up for someone else's test IS fraud,
it does not, in and of itself, justify a mandatory ID card as the only
mechanism for preventing it.

... drive with someone else's driver's license?

I see no reason for driver's licenses at all, in and of themselves. Rather,
what should be provided on request is proof of liability coverage. Drivers
licenses, just like any other minimum standard, only ensure that there are
people that just barely make the minimum standard.

Since in Florida, for example, an 89 year old person who barely passes the
eyesight test and barely passes the "can you say your name" test can renew a
previously held license for 6 years, during which they can go completely
blind and completely senile...

So no, I don't see drivers licenses as any use for anything. If roads were
private, I am sure that most road owners would require much more stringent
proof of competence to operate on their roads than the state requires.

This is an example of the general case assertion "regulations do not make
you safer than a free market system, they make you less safe than a free
market system"

Besides, our legislation FORBIDS the state agencies to cross data among
themselves (for instance, Social security record and Tax record), or to
share it with companies. There are a few laws about data collected from
citizens, very advanced indeed.

Right, we have those too with respect to SSN. Didn't work.

So, at least one thing works better in Europe than the US ;-)

As far as you know, anyway. But you have less rights so you can't really be
sure. (neither can we, of course)