 Off-Topic / Debate / 13504
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:46:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello Chris,

As a rough first bat, do you have the right to keep and bear arms?  All of
them?

This is a rhetorical question, isn't it? Presumably you already know we do
have that right, but only after we get a special permission.

It wasn't exactly rhetorical...I don't know for sure what's legal in all the
European nations.  But, if it requires "special permission" then it's a
priviledge, not a right.

But then, I
could ask, are you allowed to drive? And your answer would be about the
same: Yes, but not before you obtain a license.

Absolutely.  The citizens of the US do not have a right to drive.  But we do
have a right to bear arms.  All of them.  Without "special permission."

Is this less freedom, in any
of these two cases? I don't think so, because both, arms and cars, have the
potential to injure or even kill other people when used improperly.

In the US, we have the right to bear arms.  And the priviledge to drive is
cheaper and easier than in much of Europe (as I understand it).  So I would say
that looking at only these two issues, we do enjoy more freedom.

So, it
makes sense to limit their use to people who have shown to be worth at least
some confidence in the respective area.

Disagree.  We should limit the use of goods only to those who have demonstrated
that they will act criminally with them.

Statistics prove pretty clearly that there is a fundamental right that gets
violated in the US far more often than in any other western democracy: the
right to live, and not be murdered.

I didn't find homocide rates, but you are much more likely to be the victim of
a violent crime if you call England your home than the US.  I haven't looked up
Germany or Portugal.

I am not talking the death penalty here,
but could it be that there is some correlation between this fact and some of
your other beloved rights?

Yes.  It has been clearly and convincingly demonstrated that as firearms
increase in commonality, violent crime decreases.

And isn't it true that conflicting rights must
always be carefully balanced?

I don't think there is any such thing as conflicting rights.

I feel the balance we in Germany have fits my taste somewhat better than
what you in the US have. Even though I could probably live with both ...

Great!  I'm glad that you're happy with your system.  I'd never dream of trying
to get you to change things about your country that aren't evil.

Chris