 Off-Topic / Debate / 13501
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 17:47:15 GMT

Hello Chris,

As a rough first bat, do you have the right to keep and bear arms?  All of
them?

This is a rhetorical question, isn't it? Presumably you already know we do
have that right, but only after we get a special permission. But then, I
could ask, are you allowed to drive? And your answer would be about the
same: Yes, but not before you obtain a license. Is this less freedom, in any
of these two cases? I don't think so, because both, arms and cars, have the
potential to injure or even kill other people when used improperly. So, it
makes sense to limit their use to people who have shown to be worth at least
some confidence in the respective area.

Statistics prove pretty clearly that there is a fundamental right that gets
violated in the US far more often than in any other western democracy: the
right to live, and not be murdered. I am not talking the death penalty here,
but could it be that there is some correlation between this fact and some of
your other beloved rights? And isn't it true that conflicting rights must
always be carefully balanced?

I feel the balance we in Germany have fits my taste somewhat better than
what you in the US have. Even though I could probably live with both ...

Greetings

Horst