 Off-Topic / Debate / 13482
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Maybe the reason you are experiencing such a fear is the fact that ID card
is supposed to be "High Tech"...
I have had a National ID card for ten years, and I only had to show it for
proof of identity on reasonable subjects: Tests (School, College admission),
Licenses (Driver's and others), and as a login number (!) to know if I had
been admitted to College.

See, that you think these reasonable is itself symptomatic.

Technically, if I get in trouble I can use it to prove my identity, but I
was never asked by any cop to display it.
The thing is our ID card acts a bit like a passport (in fact, it does so
within the Schengen Space). There are no chips, and the sort of information
is very superficial: Name, Birthday, Parents' names, Height, Marital Status,
Number (the single most important thing), Emission

Your ID card tracks emissions? :-) (lesse, mine would say Hot Air, some
methane, some foam)

and Validity.
Besides, our legislation FORBIDS the state agencies to cross data among
themselves (for instance, Social security record and Tax record), or to
share it with companies. There are a few laws about data collected from
citizens, very advanced indeed.

Right, we have those too with respect to SSN. Didn't work.

ID cards are bad news. Period.