 Off-Topic / Debate / 13485
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:51:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Maybe the reason you are experiencing such a fear is the fact that ID card
is supposed to be "High Tech"...
I have had a National ID card for ten years, and I only had to show it for
proof of identity on reasonable subjects: Tests (School, College admission),
Licenses (Driver's and others), and as a login number (!) to know if I had
been admitted to College.

See, that you think these reasonable is itself symptomatic.

Why so? I'd go even further and say the ID card is sometimes practical
(there is a better word in portuguese, but I cannot recall the translation).

Technically, if I get in trouble I can use it to prove my identity, but I
was never asked by any cop to display it.
The thing is our ID card acts a bit like a passport (in fact, it does so
within the Schengen Space). There are no chips, and the sort of information
is very superficial: Name, Birthday, Parents' names, Height, Marital Status,
Number (the single most important thing), Emission

Your ID card tracks emissions? :-) (lesse, mine would say Hot Air, some
methane, some foam)

Man, you are wicked... :-P
*Date* of emission... or something like "Issued in Porto, on dd/mm/yyyy"

and Validity.
Besides, our legislation FORBIDS the state agencies to cross data among
themselves (for instance, Social security record and Tax record), or to
share it with companies. There are a few laws about data collected from
citizens, very advanced indeed.

Right, we have those too with respect to SSN. Didn't work.

And you claim to be a state of right... ;-)
Well, if it didn't work it can always be rethinked, and done in a more
sensible way. Remember, "Only the best is good enough"!

ID cards are bad news. Period.

I agree they shouldn't be necessary, but such is the world we live in.

Pedro