 Off-Topic / Debate / 12906
Re: This God thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:26:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

I can only give you my opinions as a Christian who doesn't believe in the
inerrancy of scripture. Also, your questions refer to ancient customs >practiced by an ancient people that have little pertinence to the modern
practice of Christianity (some will argue with that, but I stand by the
statement and believe that it is completely defensible from within the faith.)

  But some (indeed, many) would also argue that the "ancient customs" you
cite aren't appreciably any more ancient to modern times than the ancient
customs practiced by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  That is, it's all
pretty darned ancient, so the question becomes "how do we pick and choose
what is and what is not relevant to the modern practice of Christianity?"

     Dave!
(with the understanding that you have never claimed to be The Spokesman for
All Christians)