 Off-Topic / Debate / 12911
Re: This God thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

From a practicing Christian perspective, there isn't any need to adhere to
Mosaic Law because our New Testament letters clearly state that Jesus did away
with the Old Covenant of sacrifices and that they needn't be practiced any
longer.  Christianity has this question completely and soundly resolved for
those who chose to practice it.

  But does that resolution also indicate that certain aspects of
Christianity must remain in force ("the new and everlasting covenant"), or
might there be a point at which the body of believers can legitmately say
"this or that is no longer relevant, and Christ would have wanted us to
discard it if it became irrelevant"?  I'm not trying to be flippant, but
since my perspective is that of a person who can't ascribe absolute
authority to a book or series of traditions, I'm genuinely curious about how
believers distinguish the relevant from the irrelevant.

**snip of a nicely-worded and well-steeped in tradition analogy of a river**

Christianity has changed and will change and I can offer you no statement of
faith that will remain changeless in all its nuances and offer a
comprehensive explanation of all that Christianity is and all of the hard
questions that it tries to answer.

  I can accept that answer both from a pragmatic and an aesthetic
standpoint, but it seems directly opposed to a system of belief based on
objective truth.  Is there some conceivable point in the future in which it
might be "okay" for Christians to profane Christ, simply because society and
the nature of faith have changed?  Obviously, that's an extreme and unlikely
example, but it speaks once again of the underlying question: how can
someone know which parts of faith can be discarded and which parts of that
faith are inviolable?

From personal subjective experience (which cannot be reproduced in either
myself again or in you as in me) as a Christian I can offer you that the
practice of the faith is not a vow of assertion to a rigid standard of  >doctrine but a life-long process of sought relationship with who we believe
to be God.

  That makes a good deal of sense, in that the person (eg: you) is
ever-changing, and so the nature of the relationship with God must change in
step with the person.  In other words, perhaps the ultimate nature of faith
and its significance is unchanging, but the individual is not.  Interesting.

     Dave!