 Off-Topic / Debate / 11953
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:23:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
America is *NOT* a democracy, it's a republic. Laws are not made by "mob rule".

Yes, we are a representative-democracy (re-public). But we elect our mayors,
governors, congressmen, and presidents by casting our individual votes. In a
presidential election each state carries a number of electoral votes
consistent with the number of constituents. In a way it could also be called
"mob rule." So let the people, men and women, make this very important decision.

So far, the lobbyists have been in control of this issue and have prevented
democracy from serving it's noble purpose. Should we trust our senators and
congressmen to make the right choice for us when they are on the payroll of
lobbyists like the NRA? There's no democracy if we make our laws and rights
for the sake of profit and elitism, not the greater good of ALL Americans.
Politician after politician has filled their pockets while blood has been
spilled.

I know taking away all the handguns and automatic weapons may not prevent
all the crimes, injuries and deaths, but we can certainly try. I say put it
to a vote and let the people be heard. If people want the guns, so be it. If
you live by the sword, you'll die by the sword.

Dan