 Off-Topic / Debate / 11954
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:16:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

why not put it to a national vote? This IS the land of one man, one
vote after all (or one woman, one vote as well).

That is not how (well, actually, I suppose we _could_ make it happen that way)
our constitution is changed.

The right to bear arms, as described in our Constitution, was created at a
point in history when the only personal firearm was a muzzle loader (musket
or rather large pistol). Therefore, since times and technology have changed,
I say the right should remain but be narrowed to exclude handguns and
automatic weapons for the simple reason (and fact) of their common use in
thousands upon thousands of crimes, injuries and killings annually in our
country.

I'd rather we just do away with all weaponry.  Might as well.

If it's such an important right and individual freedom in our country, all
registered American voters deserve the chance to decide their fate as
individuals and as a society. This is about people living and dying, often
needlessly, clinging to a believe that deserves serious reconsideration for
everyone's well being.

Everyone in my neighborhood is armed.  There hasn't been a killing in my
neighborhood in many many years (perhaps not since the Lindbergh baby).  Guns
aren't about killing and dying.  They are about preparation, defense, and a way
of life.  People die needlessly because of their societal expectations and
their actions.  I've had people argue with me on this point, but I still assert
that anyone can move.  People should move away from dangerous places.

I say put it to a national vote and let the people
decide, not the politicians and especially not the lobbyists. Let democracy
prevail on this matter, as it once did over 200 years ago.

I don't think that's exactly how it worked.

Chris