 Off-Topic / Debate / 11955
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:25:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

So far, the lobbyists have been in control of this issue and have prevented
democracy from serving it's noble purpose. Should we trust our senators and
congressmen

If we don't, then doesn't it seem that something more significant than a
popular vote on handguns is in order?  If we all agree that our
congresscritters are untrustworthy, perhaps we should just throw the old system
away and start anew.

to make the right choice for us when they are on the payroll of
lobbyists like the NRA?

Or the Million Mom March!

There's no democracy if we make our laws and rights
for the sake of profit and elitism, not the greater good of ALL Americans.

That's not what democracy means.  Democracy doesn't inherently include checks
against things that violate your aesthetic (or mine).  It sounds like what you
want is actually not democracy, but something else.  Me too!

Politician after politician has filled their pockets while blood has been
spilled.

In every form of government ever tried.  The whole point of being a politician
is to manipulate the economy and regulations to make yourself and your cronies
wealthy.  Nothing has changed.  Nothing will.  The only way to make that less
likely is to make it less possible.  The only way to make it less possible is
to remove power from individuals where it is currently concentrated.  Remove
the political systems, make everyone (ie the militia) the sole law enforcement
complex, and start over with the assumption that if there's no victim, then
there's no crime.

I know taking away all the handguns and automatic weapons may not prevent
all the crimes, injuries and deaths, but we can certainly try.

More children are killed each year by bleach and houshold chemicals.  Shall we
outlaw bleach as well?

I say put it
to a vote and let the people be heard. If people want the guns, so be it. If
you live by the sword, you'll die by the sword.

What about those of us who will have guns whether or not they are legal?

Chris