 Off-Topic / Debate / 11969
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
America is *NOT* a democracy, it's a republic. Laws are not made by "mob rule".

Yes, we are a representative-democracy (re-public). But we elect our mayors,
governors, congressmen, and presidents by casting our individual votes. In a
presidential election each state carries a number of electoral votes
consistent with the number of constituents.

Um, no, it doesn't.

In fact the smallest states are guaranteed 3 votes (one rep and 2 senate
seats contribute those three votes) meaning they have a proportionally
larger voice in the election of the president than the large states do. As
the founding fathers intended.

I'm wondering if you're speaking for rhetorical effect here or if your
civics education isn't quite complete. I'd go with the former because this
is rather a fundamental point, and I'd invite you to amplify your intent.

But if it's the latter, I suggest you may want to study the constitution a
bit more closely to understand how electoral votes are amassed if you're
confused on this point. The following Google search string will turn up
several versions (the original, annotated to show amendments, and other
variants) for you to study.

http://www.google.com/search?q=US+constitution+text&btnG=Google+Search

++Lar