 Off-Topic / Debate / 11968
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:19:14 GMT

Hi jt!!!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
America is *NOT* a democracy, it's a republic.

And thank goodness for that!

I think the process I suggested of proposing an amendment using the
mechanisms in place is a better one (and more likely, BY DEFINITION, to
survive a constitutional challenge).

Daniel, I'm curious why you would want a referendum? Do you perhaps think
you would not win if the accepted process was used?

The right to bear arms, as described in our Constitution, was created at a
point in history when the only personal firearm was a muzzle loader (musket
or rather large pistol). Therefore, since times and technology have changed,
I say the right should remain but be narrowed to exclude handguns and
automatic weapons for the simple reason (and fact) of their common use in
thousands upon thousands of crimes, injuries and killings annually in our
country.

You can say what you want but that wasn't the Founders intent, as best we
can judge it from the incomplete tools available to us. Their intent was
that the populace be armed as well as the army, that's pretty clear to me,
anyway, and to most everyone else that has studied the matter. You may argue
that they are wrong or that times have changed but I for one trust their
intent on this as much as I do on the other 9 amendments... that is to say,
completely.

++Lar