 Off-Topic / Debate / 11967
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:12:26 GMT

Thanks for the clarification! :-)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

Something else.  I'm not arguing agaainst clarity.  I think it would be
great for all concerned to clarify the constitution.  But you're assuming
that a process which had the task of reviewing and amending the constitution
would end up with a version which you feel you can comply with.

If I left you with the impression that I am making that assumption, I was
unclear and I apologise because I really did not intend to say that. I
realise there is a risk in any journey that you may not end up where you
thought you would or should.

Now, if the
pressure were there to significantly change the constitution to something
you didn't agree with, what would you do?  And, I think you answered this
point quite well already.

Yes, but to restate it, if the process took us to a new constitution that
significantly abridged rights compared to now (and that applies to any of a
number of rights, not just the right to be armed) I would have to reevaluate
my level of support and take appropriate action, whatever that might be.

I'm willing to embark on such a process because I consider such an outcome
unlikely. But perhaps I am foolishly optimistic, given the survey results
about the 1st amendment I posted a while back)... Even so I'd rather I knew
where I stand.

++Lar