 Off-Topic / Debate / 11947
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:53:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:
If it meant giving up your unconditional requirement to arm
yourself, would you accept that decision, or would you claim you have the
right to ignore the ruling and arm yourself anyway, despite your then
minority status?  You cannot guarantee that the result of such a process
would be in your favour, but if you refuse to consider an unfavourable
outcome, and would refuse to abide by it, there is no point in starting.

This is incorrect. There are many sheep-citizens who *do* agree to
unconditionally abide, and improving clarity would benefit them no matter
what I chose to do myself. I feel for the sheep, even if I am myself not one
of them, and want their condition improved.

It sounds like you're arguing against clarity because one person somewhere
might not agree to go along? Or are you arguing against clarity because you
like things ambiguous so that pull and cronyism and bribery are more
important than the rule of law? Or something else?

Something else.  I'm not arguing agaainst clarity.  I think it would be
great for all concerned to clarify the constitution.  But you're assuming
that a process which had the task of reviewing and amending the constitution
would end up with a version which you feel you can comply with.  Now, if the
pressure were there to significantly change the constitution to something
you didn't agree with, what would you do?  And, I think you answered this
point quite well already.

Jason J Railton