 Off-Topic / Debate / 11746
11745  |  11747
Subject:
Brick quality (was Re: Another Legend dies....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:33:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

I could make a material test here at job to find out about the hardeness of
old and new bricks. But I think this turns out to become ridiculous: just
open your eyes and take a look at bricks from the eighties to mid nineties
annd compare them to the new bricks (for e.g from 7171, which was quite
horrible in my eyes).

Well then I must be blind.  I've got two bricks on my desk, both steep 2x2x3
bricks.

One is yellow, from <set:6075_2>; the other is dark grey, and from <set: 7184>.

I can't discern, either by the naked eye, or by touch, any difference(1)
between them.  A non-imperical test shows about equal pressure with a
fingernail makes about the same depth of mark.  If someone (you perhaps) has
a facility that can test density & composition of plastics, I'll happily
send both to them for testing.

I'd do a similar check with bricks - but I can't tell the difference between
1 year old bricks and 18 year old bricks.

Maybe other people can see it, I can't.  I'm sorry Ben, but faced with the
realities of the bricks in front of me, your comments about declining
quality really seem bizarre.

James

1: Excepting some very slight mold changes, like the shape of the stud and a
different number inside.