 Off-Topic / Debate / 11482
11481  |  11483
Subject:
Dog in pool incident
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:52:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I think there's a real difference between burning down a supposedly
empty building (the reports I've read weren't "empty" buildings, and
destroyed not just the potentially abusive research, but also research
which did not use animals) and beating the daylights out of someone who
abused your pet. While your reaction was perhaps extreme, there is some
justification to responding immediately to provocation. On the other
hand, I would certainly ask why the guy threw the dog into the pool. If
it was because the dog was threatening a child or otherwise acting
dangerously, then I'd say perhaps he took reasonable action, but not
having all the facts, I won't judge your action.

It happened when I was 16 years old. I was living in Michigan at the time
and in the summer I made a trip to visit my family in California. Since my
friends helped me get the pool running that summer, my mother agreed to let
them swim there while I was away.

So I get a call from my mother that she caught one of the guys throwing my
dog, a small poodle-mutt, into the pool. The dog was terrified and nearly
drowned. My mom said enough and closed the pool. The other guys claimed they
told him not to do it, though he did it more than once. I later chewed them
out for standing by. The one who threw my dog into the pool then decided to
load plastic bags with feces and throw it over the fence into the pool.

The day I returned, I tracked him down and gave him the beating of a
lifetime in front of all our friends. They finally intervened to pull me
away after it was clear that he could no longer defend himself. I reminded
them they should of been as responsive when he was mistreating my dog. As I
said, I'm not proud of it but I felt there was no other way properly punish
him and teach a lesson in respect for animals.

Dan