 Off-Topic / Debate / 11478
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:50:56 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Well, perhaps I've lumped things together. It's something most of us do.
On the other hand, I'm not so sure they "distance" themselves from ALF,
they certainly mischaracterize the actions in this FAQ:
"How can you justify the millions of dollars’ worth of property damage by the >Animal LiberationFront (ALF)?"

"Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law to fight >injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are both >examples of people breaking the law in order to answer to a higher morality.

"The ALF," which is simply the name adopted by people acting illegally in >behalf of animal rights, breaks inanimate objects such as stereotaxic devices >and decapitators in order to save lives. It burns empty buildings in which >animals are tortured and killed. ALF "raids" have given us proof of horrific >cruelty that would not have been discovered or believed otherwise. They have >resulted in officials’ filing of criminal charges against laboratories, >citing of experimenters for violations o
cases, shutting down of abusive labs for good. Often ALF raids have been >followed by widespread scientific condemnation of the practices occurring in >the targeted labs."

Or perhaps the not so harmless building destruction is done by other
groups. That also sounds a bit like an "endorsement" to me.

What if it was an endorsement? Judge the motive before the deed. Sometimes
certain causes lend themselves to extremes, so long as the innocent are not
endangered. The worst fight I had in my life was when this guy threw my dog
in my pool. I wasted no time beating the living daylights out of him. I'm
not proud, I'm not a brute, but he rightly deserved it. Anyone who openly
abuses animals, or knowingly contributes to their abuse, deserves a similar
dose of empathy therapy in my book.

I think there's a real difference between burning down a supposedly
empty building (the reports I've read weren't "empty" buildings, and
destroyed not just the potentially abusive research, but also research
which did not use animals) and beating the daylights out of someone who
abused your pet. While your reaction was perhaps extreme, there is some
justification to responding immediately to provocation. On the other
hand, I would certainly ask why the guy threw the dog into the pool. If
it was because the dog was threatening a child or otherwise acting
dangerously, then I'd say perhaps he took reasonable action, but not
having all the facts, I won't judge your action.

I will judge burning down buildings. That is a very serious act, which
can easily get out of control. I would find very few situations to be so
dire that the only course of action is to set a fire.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com