 Off-Topic / Debate / 11477
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:05:48 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:
to find information that supports
your assertions, but the onus is on you to back them up, not on me to do
your homework for you.

No problem, just do your own homework to prove my assertions invalid. Fair
enough? Aren't you the one who could "easily dig up factoids" in a "factoid
war"? Here's a good opportunity to put your talents to work. I say this to
the same man who gave the Intifadah as an example of how the PLO was worse
than the Israeli government.

I would assert that if you wish any success in encouraging people to
change their views on the way animals are treated in this country that
the onus is upon you to substantiate your claims. If the rest of us
think that things are basically OK, what reason do we have to explore
them? I can not investigate the background of every product I use. I
suspect some are produced unethically, and a few are produced with
extreme care, and most are basically OK, perhaps an ethical slip here or
there, perhaps the impacts not fully researched.

It's also interesting to me that PETA promotes use of synthetic
materials over natural (I did dig around a bit and was reading through
some of the ingredients in products which come from animals, and their
alternatives - I forget exactly where it was). In many ways, I'm more
concerned about the effects of using synthetic, especially petroleum
based, materials than totally eliminating use of animal products. One
also wonders how many animals were used in research to prove these
synthetics safe.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com