 Off-Topic / Debate / 11479
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 16:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

No problem, just do your own homework to prove my assertions invalid.

I would assert that if you wish any success in encouraging people to
change their views on the way animals are treated in this country that
the onus is upon you to substantiate your claims.

I was trying to figure out how to say that, but I got hung up on how to
actually do what you're suggesting Dan do.  What about it?  How would Dan, or
I, substantiate claims of gross cruelty through negligence and intent?

If the rest of us
think that things are basically OK, what reason do we have to explore
them?

Agreed.  But do you?

It's also interesting to me that PETA promotes use of synthetic
materials over natural. In many ways, I'm more
concerned about the effects of using synthetic, especially petroleum
based, materials than totally eliminating use of animal products.

Because of what?  Shortage or health issues?  I could see either as valid.

One
also wonders how many animals were used in research to prove these
synthetics safe.

Yup.  Living ethically is a strenuous balancing act.  I wonder how many people
"don't care" simply because it's hard and they don't know how or would at least
"care" more if it were easier.

Chris