 Off-Topic / Debate / 11488
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:17:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

No problem, just do your own homework to prove my assertions invalid.

I would assert that if you wish any success in encouraging people to
change their views on the way animals are treated in this country that
the onus is upon you to substantiate your claims.

I was trying to figure out how to say that, but I got hung up on how to
actually do what you're suggesting Dan do.  What about it?  How would Dan, or
I, substantiate claims of gross cruelty through negligence and intent?

I think the mechanism being used so far (undercover employees reporting what
they see) seems to be working fine for identifying problems. I am satisfied
that this problem exists, just not as of yet clear on how endemic it is, nor
clear that my giving up meat eating will solve the problem either.

Buying meat at halal groceries as Dan suggested seems a good approach for
making a statement, if you have your own cooking facilities. It is not
feasible for me, inasmuch as sometimes I have as little as 5 minutes of time
in my schedule to eat a meal.  McD at the airport is about the best I can
arrange, or else I just plain go hungry. (yes, my schedule is my choice,
it's a tradeoff I have chosen to make, I live on the road so I can afford a
better lifestyle than I could if I worked in GR)

I'll repeat what I said, I'd like to see cruelty claims vigorously pursued
using the laws we have now before we go to more extreme measures like
blowing things up. And use the fines and civil lawsuit results to expand the
frequency and scope of investigation into this matter as a next step.

++Lar