 Off-Topic / Debate / 11480
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 16:30:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I will judge burning down buildings. That is a very serious act, which
can easily get out of control. I would find very few situations to be so
dire that the only course of action is to set a fire.

How do you mean 'only' Frank?

I mean, you could just type an email to your senator and figure that you've
done your part.  That would be an alternative action.  But it wouldn't do
anything.  You could picket in front of the place.  That would be an
alternative action.  And maybe with superhuman stamina you would effect small
changes over a long time.  You could note the license plates of the people who
work there and trace them home, follow them around and beat them with an axe
handle at unexpected times.  That would be an alternative action.  But that
wouldn't really help you either.

I'm not sure that direness is the right metric.  Sometimes non-civil disorder
is the only way to actually accomplish anything.  I've never done anything with
or like ALF actions, and I've never bombed abortion clinics.  But I understand
the thinking behind them.

Chris