 Off-Topic / Debate / 11335
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:03:46 GMT

I'm very confused.

Chris:
Neither the lion nor the wildebeest is concerned with
morality.  It is an action completely without moral regard.  It is therefore
amoral.  But not immoral.

Scott:
I agree.

Larry:
Sounds like you agree, then: animals are amoral.

Scott:
No, it sounds like you are puuting words in my mouth.

Scott, please clarify. What *is* your position?

My position is that we should not infer human characteristics on animals. We
should judge them by their standards - not ours.

Or is it merely whatever
Larry is *not*?

Larry and I have much more in common than you would think. I expect we agree >99% of the time. The other 1% he is wrong. :-)

You "pass judgement" on others too much. Who are you to infer your moral
values on others - judging them by your own standard? Do you assume you are
the role model they should aspire to?

Do you not do the same? Don't I? Doesn't Larry?

You missed my semi-joke, by saying to Larry "You pass judgement on others
too much."  I was passing judgement on him. I do pass judgement on others -
but I think it is wrong of me and I do not brag about it.

Don't all morally conscious
creatures pass moral judgement?

By doing so we infer our morals on them - rather conceited I think.

If not, then what's the point (read use) of
having a moral judgement? If so, then what standard can we judge against
except our own?

The morals of the societies we live in - not our individual morals.

Scott A

DaveE