 Off-Topic / Debate / 11336
11335  |  11337
Subject:
Is might right, or just a reality? (Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:06:24 GMT

Animals are amoral. In their system, might makes right.

Disagree.  Nothing makes 'right.'  Might makes reality.

This is a very interesting point. I think most of us would say that might is
not right. However, although he may just be talking about animals, Chrisis
right when he says "Might makes reality". In most of our day-to-day lives
might does win out:

+Bigger shops can undercut small ones.
+In politics, the larger political parties dominate the news agenda – not
issues.
+Large companies can take over smaller ones - and reduce consumer choice.
+Larger countries bully smaller ones with their armies.
+"Mighty" countries get of the hook as we fear there economic or military
strength (e.g. China).
+Wealthier individuals can afford better education & legal protection due to
their economic might.
+Individuals with economic might can lobby our politicians.

So is might always wrong? Or only when it is used directly against us?

Scott A