 Off-Topic / Debate / 11252
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:02:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:
So, if they DON'T choose it, is it sexist/unfair to give women paid time
off? Likewise, couldn't a woman choose to take the pill to at least lessen
the effects of PMS?

I was just reading until this little comment happened.

Uh oh-- I better jump in and clarify. That sounded bad on my part.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, guys.

Yes, PMS sucks, and I don't suffer from it like some women I know;  but, if
you happen to have certain medical conditions, the Pill can be deadly.  I
can *not* take the pill - it increases the clotting factor in the blood to a
level that is dangerous for me, and many women don't even know that this is
a possibility.   Stroke, heart attack, pulmonary emoblism - take your pick
of gory side-effects from the wonder-drug of the 20th century.

I guess where I was going with that wasn't to suggest that having PMS *was*
a choice-- I don't think it is. It was to say if it *were* a choice, would
it be treated similarly to pregnancy, which *was* implied as a choice.

My particular point was to show that whether it's a choice or not is (in a
"perfect world") irrelevant. People with kids (whether intended or not)
whose work performance is affected by their kids "should" be negatively
compensated to be "fair".

However. I don't mind being *NOT* 'fair'. I don't have kids (could you tell?
:) ) so I theoretically work harder and contribute more to the company than
someone *with* kids-- or at least harder than I *would* if *I* had kids. Do
I "deserve" more *from* the company? Technically, yes. But you won't find me
complaining about it. Why? Because I sympathize. It's the charitable ethic
that says "I don't mind some self sacrifice to benefit others."

Whoever told you life is fair?  It's not, let's get on with it

Which is exactly why I mentioned it. Life's *not* fair, nor is it expected
to be. I only like to deal with being "fair" in philosophy, not real life.

DaveE