 Off-Topic / Debate / 11244
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:56:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
David Eaton wrote:
How do you feel about maternity leave?

This should really be in a separate thread, but...

I dunno-- it may still be relevant... see below...

Women usually CHOOSE to get pregnant.  I don't think they should get PAID
time off for a medical condition they CHOSE to have.

So, if they DON'T choose it, is it sexist/unfair to give women paid time
off? Likewise, couldn't a woman choose to take the pill to at least lessen
the effects of PMS? Or, embarking into fantasy, if there was a pill they
could take to *eliminate* PMS on a monthly basis (not daily, but something
miraculously wonderful), would having PMS then be considered a choice,
assuming these miracle pills were affordable & available?

I also don't think parents should get paid Flex Time while denying it to
adults without children.  Again, they CHOSE to have kids, and
rewarding them for it/punishing others for NOT having kids just isn't right.

And again, if they didn't choose to have kids? But I think I agree with
you-- when your kids affect your work performance, your benefits decrease in
some manner or another, in relation to the decrease in work performance. In
a "fair" world.

But the big issue we're avoiding here, obviously, is that despite whether or
not it's fair, it's attractive to those *with* children, or those who want
to have them. Hence medical benefits and the like. It's easier to get people
with kids to want to work at your company if you sympathize with their
position. But if you do it too much, those without children *won't* want to
work there. Interesting balance. And I think that this part *IS* a new
thread topic. :)

So in general, I think this would be a Bad Thing - it might lead to
resentment on one side, and possibly lower pay on the other, if it
weren't handled right (and I can virtually Guarantee you that if the gubmint
stepped in, they'd handle it wrong).

Most certainly. As far as legislation and generality go with something this
delicate, it's a VERY Bad Thing. It would *easily* have the ability to get
abused both for and against women, and both for and against employers. And
maybe even men too. Our society is phenomenally ill-equipped to handle such
a thing, I think.

On a side note, all we really need is more women doctors and researchers
(because men simply can't relate) so that they can work on PMS side effects
to find a good battery of drugs to handle the various problems.  There are
some good ones out there, but none are anywhere near perfect.

Agreed-- but who wouldn't? :)

DaveE