 Off-Topic / Debate / 11246
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:12:44 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
David Eaton wrote:
How do you feel about maternity leave?

This should really be in a separate thread, but...

I dunno-- it may still be relevant... see below...

Women usually CHOOSE to get pregnant.  I don't think they should get PAID
time off for a medical condition they CHOSE to have.

So, if they DON'T choose it, is it sexist/unfair to give women paid time
off?

PAID time off?  If you don't also give Paternity leave, yes, it is.  And that
still makes it unfair to those that choose not to have kids.

Likewise, couldn't a woman choose to take the pill to at least lessen
the effects of PMS? Or, embarking into fantasy, if there was a pill they
could take to *eliminate* PMS on a monthly basis (not daily, but something
miraculously wonderful), would having PMS then be considered a choice,
assuming these miracle pills were affordable & available?

Yes, it would be a choice, assuming that miracle pill had zero side effects for
anyone.

I also don't think parents should get paid Flex Time while denying it to
adults without children.  Again, they CHOSE to have kids, and
rewarding them for it/punishing others for NOT having kids just isn't right.

And again, if they didn't choose to have kids? But I think I agree with
you-- when your kids affect your work performance, your benefits decrease in
some manner or another, in relation to the decrease in work performance. In
a "fair" world.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of very many companies that are "fair" in that
respect.

Cause for yet another thread...
<donning flame suit>
Whether the woman CHOOSES to get pregnant or not isn't quite relevant.  What is
relevant or not is if she chooses to STAY pregnant.  That is her CHOICE.