 Off-Topic / Debate / 11245
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
I would consider it sexist.  I have no problem with giving the time off, but >to be fair you'd have to give men the same time off.

How do you feel about maternity leave? Sexist? Should the husband get the
same time off as the woman? Should they be paid? And yes, I do know some
companies DO allow men to get time off. But it's certainly a lot more rare.

Yes, yes, and no.

This should really be in a separate thread, but...

Women usually CHOOSE to get pregnant.

Generally, I would say that this is the case, but not always. I'll leave
that to another thread.

I don't think they should get PAID time off for a medical condition they >CHOSE to have.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I see your point. How about LASIK
or other elective surgeries? As far as I know most people (at least where I
work)are able to get time off for them as well.

I also don't think parents should get paid Flex Time while denying it to >adults without children.

You say "Flex Time". Are you referring to flexible work hours, or time off
in compliance with family medical leave?

Again, they CHOSE to have kids, and
rewarding them for it/punishing others for NOT having kids just isn't right.

Again, I don't agree with you, but you do have a valid point.

<snipped a lot of stuff>

-Duane