 Off-Topic / Debate / 11158
  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) Programming does require higher brain function, but it tends to be very different from the critical examination used in debate. I haven't ever gone deeply into the types of stimulation I get from each activity that I do, but there are definite (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) True. But are problem-solving and critical analysis that different? The only difference I can see is that the latter is played out against a second thinking human being (which, granted, is significant). Is this why we engage in office (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

Frank and Lindsay write: (...) Higher than what? (...) I've been asking something of RPGers for years: Does what you value about playing RPGs lean more toward the role-playing (i.e. acting) or more toward the problem solving? I've been playing RPGs (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) Well, the involvement of another person is certainly an important factor. Like I said, I haven't really dug into what the differences are between the various mental stimulations that I enjoy, but what I do know is that I need something beyond (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nothing personal, but...

(...) My valuation changes on a session to session basis. I've been playing for almost 25 years (and I'm sure there's one or two people who can best me on the years). The biggest thing that I identify as a preference is not so much style of play, (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)