 Off-Topic / Debate / 10908
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:17:04 GMT

<snipping>

(BTW, before I start, SCLC was the movement originally led by Martin Luther
King, Jr. - the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.)

If the question is meaningless, then why is the Libertarian Party almost
exclusively white male?  I'm not meaning that as a personal attack - I just
am curious if you have an opinion as to why.  A failing on minorities and
women to understand the Libertarian message?  A fear by them that they
*think* they *do* understand the Libertarian message (it's legit for
businesses to discriminate based on race, creed, and sex)? I'm not looking
to make a put down of the Libertarian Party - I honestly think this is
something that Libertarians need to consider more: if they are touting their
message as so universal, why is such a narrow audience that is listening?

Notice that this answer is waaaaay over-simplified. Please don't attack me
on demographics, etc. (well, feel free to attack me on anything, but I doubt
I'll respond to that kind of reply).

For people lower on the social status, it's easier to look towards more
government, to help them more. People are willing to give up certain
freedoms in exchange for services. For example: communism appeals/ed to poor
countries; FDR's New Deal came to help the masses of Americans who were hit
by the Depression, and expanded the government's powers; etc.
For people who are better off, it's easier to say "oh, give up the
government, everyone can succeed if given a chance", because they already
ARE successful. Granted, anyone can say or believe the above sentence, but
honestly, who's more likely to? Someone earning $100,000 a month, or someone
earning $10,000 a year? C'mon. The former doesn't want more government
power; they pay the biggest price, and need the government least.

So, in my opinion:
rich --> want less government
poor --> want more government

It just so happens that in America (1) that white males are the best off. It
makes sense to me that they would side with Libertarians. (2)

-Shiri

(1) in *general*! I am not making this up. Cut me some slack here. I'm not
gonna back this up by "facts" right now, you know it's true. In general (not
case-by-case). It's unfortunate. But true.
(2) Note also that I'm not saying this is evil or morally wrong. It's just
common sense, IMHO.