 Off-Topic / Debate / 10914
Re: Libertarian SPAM (Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:15:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
<snipping>

(BTW, before I start, SCLC was the movement originally led by Martin Luther
King, Jr. - the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.)

Thanks - I just never connect the initials to the group.  :-)

Notice that this answer is waaaaay over-simplified. Please don't attack me
on demographics, etc. (well, feel free to attack me on anything, but I doubt
I'll respond to that kind of reply).

For people lower on the social status, it's easier to look towards more
government, to help them more. People are willing to give up certain
freedoms in exchange for services. For example: communism appeals/ed to poor
countries; FDR's New Deal came to help the masses of Americans who were hit
by the Depression, and expanded the government's powers; etc.
For people who are better off, it's easier to say "oh, give up the
government, everyone can succeed if given a chance", because they already
ARE successful. Granted, anyone can say or believe the above sentence, but
honestly, who's more likely to? Someone earning $100,000 a month, or someone
earning $10,000 a year? C'mon. The former doesn't want more government
power; they pay the biggest price, and need the government least.

So, in my opinion:
rich --> want less government
poor --> want more government

It just so happens that in America (1) that white males are the best off. It
makes sense to me that they would side with Libertarians. (2)

-Shiri

It's a pretty good analogy that isn't quite right.  Libertarians tend to be
white, male, and middle-to-upper-middle class.  That isn't rich.  Shouldn't
the rich be Libertarians if your analysis is correct?

But they aren't, so you have to wonder why - the rich *do want* government
for primarily the same reason as the poor (to protect their interests).  For
example, why do the poor need an expensive military?  They don't: the rich
need it to protect their overseas investments.  The rich and poor both want
government, but to different ends.  Middle, and especially upper-middle
class, don't need the social supports that the poor want, nor the power
supports the rich need.  White males need the civil rights support the
least.  And there we have the Libertarian Party: white, male, middle to
upper-middle class, the least in need of government.

Bruce