 Off-Topic / Debate / 10554
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 03:03:15 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Now, let's try to stay on topic. I have an open mind about this. I am not
sure that the conventional prescription of ownership works for migratory
animals. Hence my interest in exploring this. If you don't want to bring an
open mind and work through examples, your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Here's a concrete real-world example that may work for working through
this:
Monarch Butterfies are increasingly threaten with extinction in the
coming decades mainly by destruction and degradation of their summer and
winter habitats.  I believe most of the monarchs in the eastern/central
US overwinter in a small section of Mexico, which is where most of the
extinction risks lies.

The habitat degradation has economic roots which would allow us to
develop try to develop a market-based or 'anything-else-based' approach
to solving this problem.

Here's some background on the issue:
http://www.monarchwatch.org/conserve/index.htm

I would really like to see what we could come up with.

-chris