 Off-Topic / Debate / 10553
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 21:33:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
James Simpson wrote:
Thats cool.  All I can offer is responsible management; the only alternative is
monstrously complicated litigation.

James,
How do you consider we achieve responsible management?  I have some
ideas.  I'm curious to what others think.

-chris

I suppose that the foremost priority in responsible wildlife management is to
maintain a viable ecosystem in every environmental sample that is large enough
to be essentially self-regulating.  In my mind, the most pressing problem is
urban sprawl; we can't manage wildlife responsibly and equitably when natural
habitats are too fragmented to viably support a thriving ecosystem.  I'm afraid
that my suggestion is that first private development be heavily regualated.  We
*need* more compact, public-transportation-dependent cities; the march of
suburbia must be regulated.

We need a more hands-off approach to wildlife managment; again, samples of
native ecosystems should be allowed to develop in a more hands-off approach
(even if that means allowing exotic species such as kudzu to become dominant -
nature won't be able to maintain a self-regulating balance until humans allow
nature to establish its own balance.  Species will be lost [at least in the
wild], but we'll have healthier, stronger ecosystems when we let nature
establish a new harmony.)

The cultivation of native crops and wildlife should be encouraged, and for the
Love of Pete, we have to stop allowing people to drain aquifers for hog farms,
for center-pivot irrigation in semi-arid environments such as the Sand Hills,
and for green golf courses and New England lawns where annual rainfall wouldn't
naturally support these things.  In other words, we need to practice sensible
agriculture that has the objective of long-term sustainability and we need to
encourage (nay, legislate if necessary) the practice of Xeriscaping (spelling?),
i.e., landscaping with native grasses.  Our ridiculously short-sighted and
insanely consumptive use of water is destroying habitats.  All it would take in
this regard is some reasonable adjustments.  Move your hog lot eastward and
enjoy a nice cropped tallgrass prarie golf course.

There are no easy solutions; it will require personal restraint, conservation,
and a bit of sacrifice, but nothing so great that we can't still keep a
perfectly fine (and affluent) standard of living.

james