 Off-Topic / Debate / 10555
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 03:58:26 GMT

There is some merit in the arguments your cite makes. I would ask this,
however.... (and I snipped away the rest)

Christopher, I found this text which goes over most of your points. It is

Consider the argument
of Robert J. Smith who suggests that the absence of privatization explains
"why the buffalo nearly vanished, but not the Hereford; ... why the common
salmon fisheries of the United States are overfished, but not the private
salmon streams of Europe."  His solution? "We should explore the
possibilities of extending ownership of native game animals and wildlife to
property owners.".

Overfishing is a worldwide problem, and a growing one. Whatever nation
builds the largest fleet of boats wins the race to catch the remaining few
free roaming large schools of species x, then there is a crash, and we move
on to the next species. Or so it seems.

This is a classic tragedy of the commons problem. Whoever most insanely
exploits the commons "wins", but the commons (in this case, fish stocks) is
destroyed.

What exactly WOULD you do about overfishing? What is your concrete proposal
to address it? Owning the fish isn't practical, is it? What is?

++Lar