 Off-Topic / Debate / 10519
Re: Disney stealing ideas again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 15:12:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jonathan Lill writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
Well, once again it seems that Disney cannot come up with ideas on their own.
Their upcoming animated movie, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, bears startling
similarities to Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, a TV series by the Japanese
studio Gainax (the people behind Neon Genesis Evangelion).
Jeff

While I am not acquainted with that show and I am loathe  to defend Disney
on this point I will say that Atlantis is an old story and it has one basic
archetypical approach: a guy finds a map, uses it to find "the lost city",
the city rises or comes back to life, havok and mayhem ensue. Within this
framework there are lots of opportunities for different realizations to
resemble each other without intentional cribbing. It has already been done a
million times anyway. Secondly with the type of character simplification
typical of Disney and a lot of Japanese Anime(mostly tv series, and this is
not a criticism) it is also probable that there will be overlap.

True, and I am not debating that the most *basic* part of the story, i.e.
finding Atlantis (I forgot to mention that this wasn't one of the "stealing
of ideas" I was talking about), is unique to these two shows, the execution,
down to specific events is extremely similar, according to that article.  Also,
while the characters are stylistically different, they share characteristics,
such as the hero's large glasses (supposedly inspired by a silent movie star's
on-screen glasses, but those glasses were small with thick rims) and the
heroine's dark skin, fiery temper, and blue crystal pendant, among others.  A
couple of these could be coincidence, but all of them?  I don't believe so.

As an aside, my favorite comic book artist Mike Mignola(creator of Hellboy)
was a contributing idea man for Atlantis and much of what is shown in the
previews has a bit of his thumbprint.

Not being interested in comics at all, I don't know what you mean by this.  Are
the character designs in his style, or some other aspect?

But I am waiting to see how unique overall the design of the movie is. The
design too of these types of movies has a long tradition (think Captain Nemo).

True, but there are too many similarities in these two shows to simply be
explained by them being based on Jules Verne's tales, IMO.

Jeff
"FLAT SIDE UP!"