 Off-Topic / Debate / 10515
10514  |  10516
Subject:
Disney stealing ideas again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:38:56 GMT

Well, once again it seems that Disney cannot come up with ideas on their own.
Their upcoming animated movie, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, bears startling
similarities to Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, a TV series by the Japanese studio
Gainax (the people behind Neon Genesis Evangelion).  The main characters of
each are similar in design and temperment, and the plot is nearly identicle,
even down to specific events in the storyline.  A article covering the
similarities can be found at the Anime News Network, however, it contains a
number of spoilers for both shows, so read at your own risk:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/archives/feature/atlantis.php

While Atlantis could have been inspired by Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the
Sky (as Nadia most likely was), I find it hard to believe that both shows would
coincidentally differ from Laputa in so many of the same ways.  Any other
thoughts on this?

Jeff
"FLAT SIDE UP!"