 Off-Topic / Debate / 10533
Re: Disney stealing ideas again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 22:30:44 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 14:01:00 GMT, "Jonathan Lill"
<jonathanl@myriadweb.com> wrote:

While I am not acquainted with that show and I am loathe  to defend Disney
on this point I will say that Atlantis is an old story and it has one basic
archetypical approach: a guy finds a map, uses it to find "the lost city",
the city rises or comes back to life, havok and mayhem ensue. Within this
framework there are lots of opportunities for different realizations to
resemble each other without intentional cribbing. It has already been done a
million times anyway.

My personal take on the situation is that it doesn't necesarily matter
whose original idea it was, but how they use it.  I mean Henry Ford
wasn't the first person to create a car, but he was the first person
to make it practical, worthwhile, affordable, etc, etc.

Secondly with the type of character simplification
typical of Disney and a lot of Japanese Anime(mostly tv series, and this is
not a criticism) it is also probable that there will be overlap.

Character simplification in anime?!  I find most anime characters to
be extermely well developed compared with most American cartoons of
the 90's (the 80's are a different story).

-Simon-