 Off-Topic / Debate / 10278
  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) This is an oft-quoted snippet, and I have no doubt that it was fine foreign policy for an infant nation two centuries ago, but in an age when we can cross the globe in hours, I think its relevance is more metaphorical than actual. And while (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Couldn't have said it better myself! From what I've seen in my life so far, the sort of "peace" that Israel wants. Dan (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) ::sigh:: I knew I should have left in my qualifier about the Nazis... In my last post I WAS going to include that the nations of the world should have spotted the threat the Nazis represented much earlier on and not have jumped into bed with (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Well, yes and no. The world does not admit of us huddling behind our borders and assuming that distance keeps us safe, but nevertheless there is merit in not getting entangled in alliances quite as much as we seem to have gotten lately. No (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) That's interesting! During last year's debates about Libertopia et al, I tried to envision the type of world that could support a free nation like Libertopia (remember when I oh-so-cleverly coined it Liberama? Ah, such wit!) I still don't know (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Put it this way, when was the last time you were personally threatened by the Lichtenstein Army? Now if Lichtenstein turns into a pocket dicatorship that kind of stinks for the Lichtensteiners but it won't last. Bill Gates could afford to do (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Indeed. (...) It does not have one. They rely on the Swiss for defence. (...) Big business would only do such a thing if there was $$ involved fom them. Individuals would only do such as thing if there was kudos involved. I would rather these (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Got me... I did not know that. Pick some other tiny country as the root of the example then... one that does have a tiny army. How about if we use the Grand Duchy of Fenwick, because that's obviously fictional. This is a fictional example, (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) I do. (...) For people "in general" I do. (...) Well, what were his motives? (...) That is the important question. Many things are clearly "wrong" : mass murder etc. But at the other edge of the scale it is harder to tell... but perhaps the (...) (23 years ago, 8-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Heh...:-) I think you don't know much about what could be the cost of a corrupt government to you, perhaps you never have to live with one, generations long. Selçuk (...) (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) I suppose these things are all realtive ;-) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)