 Off-Topic / Debate / 10290
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 03:19:35 GMT

Au contraire, most libertarians think that the way to achieve that is
through a multitude of fragmented states so small and powerless as to pose
no threat to anyone, including their own citizens. Maybe not even totally
territorial in nature although HOW that would work isn't quite clear.

Put it this way, when was the last time you were personally threatened by
the Lichtenstein Army? Now if Lichtenstein turns into a pocket dicatorship
that kind of stinks for the Lichtensteiners but it won't last. Bill Gates
could afford to do something about it if he so chose... Hence the thinking
that many small powerless states are good.

That's interesting!  During last year's debates about Libertopia et al, I
tried to envision the type of world that could support a free nation like
Libertopia (remember when I oh-so-cleverly coined it Liberama? Ah, such wit!) >I still don't know how to reconcile open borders with distinct nations.

Me either. There is no such thing as Libertopia, mind you. That's the point.

Most times when one sets out to construct such a place in one's thought
experiments, one ends up with anarcho capitalism, ala _Marooned in Real
Time_ by Vernor Vinge. Which isn't quite what one intended but hey, who was
it said that the state will wither away??? I forget.

Open borders, to me, suggests something like the strict controls between
Pennsylvania and New York,

Yes, well I fondly recall those huge signs coming into PA from NY that said
"the Speed Limit is STILL 55 in Pennsylvania" followed directly by a list of
the (rather outrageously high) fines. Talk about your friendly reminder that
speed laws are a license to tax non-locals. :-)

but I might be unfairly characterizing the actual vision.

Na, it's not a coherent vision, it's more of a subtractive thing. Some
things are what you make of them. Libertopia is what you UN-make of it.

That's because we're all brilliant, free-thinking, people-of-the-world!  8^)

And handsome too. Why, I was remarking on that very fact to my wife...
Moooooorgan Fairchild (whom I've slept with!) just the other day! Grin.

++Lar