 Off-Topic / Debate / 10288
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 02:46:58 GMT

Given some of the tenets of Libertopia (such as open borders,
free trade, and personal sovereignty), it would seem that a single
Nation-of-the-World is not only desirable; it is essential.

Au contraire, most libertarians think that the way to achieve that is
through a multitude of fragmented states so small and powerless as to pose
no threat to anyone, including their own citizens. Maybe not even totally
territorial in nature although HOW that would work isn't quite clear.

  That's interesting!  During last year's debates about Libertopia et al, I
tried to envision the type of world that could support a free nation like
Libertopia (remember when I oh-so-cleverly coined it Liberama? Ah, such wit!) I
still don't know how to reconcile open borders with distinct nations. Open
borders, to me, suggests something like the strict controls between
Pennsylvania and New York, but I might be unfairly characterizing the actual
vision.

PS, no fair hanging Richard on stuff quoted (or implied) about Libertopia as
he's not been a huge proponent of Libertarianism  in the past, I don't think.

  Yeah, I was hoping to preserve some of the quote continuity by keeping both
your names at the top of the reply, but it got a little muddled.

PPS, we three are more in agreement than some may think.

  That's because we're all brilliant, free-thinking, people-of-the-world!  8^)

     Dave!