 Off-Topic / Debate / 1020
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 17:04:34 GMT

<37477ECE.755D6E19@uswest.net> <FC67Iw.89r@lugnet.com>

Ed Jones wrote:

Well, isn't that the crux of the dilemma, that they are not *just* like us?
Here's my .02, for what it's worth.  I don't care if someone is homosexual,
I don't *want* to know.  So why do gays (some) have to *flaunt* it?  PDA,
rainbows on cars, why can't they just keep it to themselves?  I don't mean
in the closet, just out of my face (in public).  PDA among hetereos is
offensive, too.  Is that asking too much?

As in, fine as long as they don't live on my block?

How would I know?  Why would I care?

And what stickers are on your car?

None.

Flaunting has a purpose, the more public homosexuals are about their
homosexuality, the more people realize that homosexuals are everywhere.  And
that homosexuals are not that different from themselves.  Homosexuals have the
same goals in life as everyone else:  love, acceptance, job security, a home
and a family.

I understand that homosexuals have the same goals as everyone else, etc.  I
agree.[1]   They should be happy just being treated like everyone else.  By
flaunting their sexual preference (which is a private matter IMO), *they* are
setting themselves apart and asking to be considered differently.  Same with "gay
rights" activists.  There are no "rights" based on sexual preference.[2]   I
don't care how many gays are out there-- IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS.  So why *make*
it my business of knowing?  I think a lot (not all) of intolerance against gays
is brought on by themselves.  Here's the deal.  You like the same sex?  BFD
There is a lot more to life [3] than sex.  So why make such a big deal about it?

[1] I think some gays think they can find those things *through* their sexuality
(hetereos, too) and I think it's erroneous, but that's another topic.
[2] Discrimination is another topic which I would leave to the Libertarians, but
I would guess that, in the private sector, the LP would hold that I can do
anything I want with my business that I please.
[3] If there isn't more to life for someone other than that which revolves around
sex, they are leading a sad life, IMHO

-John