 Off-Topic / Debate / 1022
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 20:51:04 GMT

I understand that homosexuals have the same goals as everyone else, etc.  I
agree.[1]   They should be happy just being treated like everyone else.  By
flaunting their sexual preference (which is a private matter IMO), *they* are
setting themselves apart and asking to be considered differently.

Not at all, they are just attempting to make the world aware that homosexauls
do exist and that they are not that different than anyone else.  They are not
asking to be treated differnlty, Excalty they opposite, they have historically
been treated differently (i.e. discrimination, gay bashing, etc.) and are
simply working toward being treated like everyone else.

Same with "gay rights" activists.  There are no "rights" based on sexual
preference.[2]

Exactly, but homosexuals are still denied housing, jobs, and health care.
Those activists are simply fighting to procure the same rights that everyone
else has, but are denied to homosexuals, in some cases by law.

don't care how many gays are out there-- IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS.  So why • *make*
it my business of knowing?  I think a lot (not all) of intolerance against • gays
is brought on by themselves.  Here's the deal.  You like the same sex?  BFD
There is a lot more to life [3] than sex.  So why make such a big deal about • it?

Two reasons:

1. Because, the world has made such a big deal for centuries of creating a
negative image of homosexuality.  We are simply trying to erase centuries of
prejudice, mostly founded on inane religious bigotry.  To gain the right to
housing, the right to a job and the right to

2. To create gay role models/heroes for young gay people.  Something that I
certainly never had.  I didn't even know that gay was a possibility until I was
about 18.  I just knew that I didn't feel right in hetereosexual relationships.
That something was wrong and missing.  Had I know that gay as a possibility, I
would have sorted things out years before.

[1] I think some gays think they can find those things *through* their • sexuality
(hetereos, too) and I think it's erroneous, but that's another topic.
[2] Discrimination is another topic which I would leave to the Libertarians, • but
I would guess that, in the private sector, the LP would hold that I can do
anything I want with my business that I please.
[3] If there isn't more to life for someone other than that which revolves • around
sex, they are leading a sad life, IMHO

-John