 Off-Topic / Debate / *15521 (-20)
  Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?

"John Grubber" <jgrubber2000@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:GqCuAF.n30@lugnet.com... snip (...) Several of them are British. Hardly as you describe. Though many in the UK would say 'serve them right' lawrence (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) While Y2K deserved much of the concern raised, it really was overblown. I don't remember how many times I had to re-explain exactly what the Y2K exposure of our product was, and it was a minor problem in that the next time the machine booted (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) I've read (and I'll try to find out where) that a gun in the home is X number of times more statistically likely to kill or injure a member of the household than it is likely to kill or injure an intruder. I'll try to find a web reference. (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) I've read (and I'll try to find out where) that a gun in the home is X number of times more statistically likely to kill or injure a member of the household than an intruder. I'll try to find a web reference. Dave! (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Well, not according to the 2nd Amendment, The Constitution in general, or in any litigation thus far brought before the Supreme Court. More specifically, the government's authority to regulate the ownership of arms by private citizens has (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Where would I find that stat? Chris (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) So? Everyone has the right to own a jumbojet loaded with fuel, or surface to air missles (depending on your point) too. Chris (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Sort of. It (coupled with an assumption about the eating habits of other bad men(tm) ) demonstrates that the big bad men in the world are less likely to be vegetarian. Vote vegetarian! Chris (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

I'm sorta me-tooing, but hey, why not? (...) And our borders aren't 100% secure--and see what problems that wreaks? Imagine if we were fully balkanized--just look at the operation of the US under the Articles of Confederation if you want to see the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?

(...) hasn't come up in this forum before. (...) treated fairly? (...) Dubya conveniently avoided having to worry about that distinction by not actually declaring war. The 'war on terror' is a colloquialism, a title for a foreign policy inititive (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?

(...) They are human beings first. As far as I can see the whole issue is being undertaken for the benefit of US domestic opinion - which *appears* to largely support what is happening (the power of governing by focus group). I'm sure OBL is very (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  So are they prisoners of war or what?

Given the amount of debate here following Sept 11th, I am surprised this hasn't come up in this forum before. Are the al-Qaida suspects detained at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base being treated fairly? And if the US is at war with terrorists, are they (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) He was appointed chancellor by Hindenburg, despite the relative majority vote, because other options were voided (other parties were unable to form stable coalitions or fronts against NSDAP). So, in a way he WAS elected. There isn't an (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) In fact, they do need the Federal government, and so do you. How secure would the commercial shipping infrastructure be if our borders were not secure? How secure would US commerce be without the backing of the full-faith-and-credit of the US (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) If I remember correctly from my school days, the 1932 vote in question earned the NSDAP around 37% of the votes, and Hitler was nominated chancellor with the help of some conservative politicians. I think there was also a later vote in 1933 (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) So why are you here moaning about gun control when "totalitarian factions in the US" are denying trial by jury to people? Is it because is not you or you family who is being held without charge? Scott A (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Interestingly, there was an article on BBC Radio 4 last night about crime control methods in Europe. Some facts about Switzerland: + Their crime rate is half the EU average (Switzerland is not part of the EU) + Their police force is around the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) Hitler was never elected chancellor. He never had more than ~35% of the vote. Scott A (23 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

(...) And we can always trust reporters to get the whole story 8?) (...) policy (...) fire (...) I'd be interested in more information about this. How did they ensure that non-law-abiding citizens didn't carry guns? Over what period did the change (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An armed society...

[snip] (...) ownership (...) Well ABC news had a 20/20 report about a county in the USA. (I forget exactly where) That county had one of the highest crime rates in the country. A policy was enacted that required all able bodied, law abiding citizens (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact