 Off-Topic / Debate / 15508
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 05:31:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Most of the "major news stories" have been geared to distract the average
mindless American into thinking they need the federal Government.

  In fact, they do need the Federal government, and so do you.  How secure
would the commercial shipping infrastructure be if our borders were not secure?
How secure would US commerce be without the backing of the
full-faith-and-credit of the US Federal Reserve?  How well could we resist
enemy incursions onto US soil without the Federal body known as the US Armed
Forces?  How much abuse would stock brokers inflict upon innocent investors
without the oversight of the Securites Exchange Commission?
  I imagine you'll point to 9/11 as an example of the failure of the armed
forces, but before you do, please recall that privately-owned jets were used in
the bombings.

The Y2K farce was a good example of that.

  Which farce, exactly?  The finance industry was well-prepared before the
beginning of 1999.  The airline industry had run tests many months in advance,
with no alarms.  The rail industry had likewise conducted tests that showed no
significant problems to be expected on 1/1/0.  The only fuss I heard was from
the so-called liberal news media, and even that was more like a lingering joke
than some pernicious guvmint plot to sap and impurify all of our precious
bodily fluids...

-Mike Petrucelli  (I wonder, when the second civil war comes will there be
enough patriots to defend our liberty?)

  First I must require you to define "civil war," "enough," "patriots,"
"defend," and "liberty."  After you've done that, I'll see about giving you an
answer.

    Dave!